I want to wish you an happy new year with some big news in our passionating online video ecosystem. This week there is the Consumer Electronic Show with I hope few news around 4K and UHD.
- Brightcove, one of the leading in the OVP, will acquire Unicorn Media, a company which provide an ad-insertion technology 18 months after Zencoder.
- I talked many times about MPEG-DASH and we waited for a complete solution to deliver content on OTT. ADB claims to be the first to deliver with MPEG-DASH.
- During CES, Wowza announced with Divx debuts new Divx Live Streaming with HEVC Over MPEG-DASH
- Netgear wants to replace the cable box with a Chromecast-sized Android dongle. Are the dongles the future ?
- Seawell, which provides a packager on-the-fly, made an analyse on the 3 different approaches to manifest manipulation
In the encoding ecosystem, there was some news too :
- an open-source HEVC encoder available on SourceForge. This encoder is written in C++ and support multi-threading.
- Google try to push VP9 as the dominant codec for 4K streaming especially on the hardware components : ARM, NVidia, Intel…
But in my humble opinion, this is the main news of the week :
Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. joined W3C
— W3C Team (@w3c) 7 Janvier 2014