This week is not a common week, it is the week of the NAB Show… To go with this event, many news I expose to you.
- Level 3 and Elemental Technologies are partners to stream real-time 4K HD video based on MPEG-DASH. Elemental announced too during the NAB Show : its integration with Ericsson on Ericsson Virtualised Encoding.
- Harmonic signals shift to software-based world with VOS announcement. In the mean time, they announced a partnership with Encoding.com.
- Envivio announced its introduction in the cloud market. They introduce Envivio Muse Encoders and Envivio Halo processors into cloud software.
- During the NAB, there are many news from transcoders, workflows companies about the deployment on the cloud. Dan Rayburn exposes that point in details and explains that the cloud based multiscreen workflows to become a billion dollar market over time.
- John Deutscher, from Azure Media Services, announced the different new features of the platform in his blog : Live streaming preview, Dolby support, encrypted upload and storage, two new datacenters in Japan.
- On the CDN ecosystem, Akamai Cloud workflow are now validated by the MPAA on the security side. They also announced the support of native MPEG-DASH and HDS for live worfklows.
- Adobe announced Primetime 2.0 and Primetime is now supported by Harmonic, Elemental and thePlatform
- Dr Christian Timmerer from bitmovin made during the NAB a talk about the Adaptive media streaming over emerging protocols. It is focused on DASH.
NAB Show is also the time to make acquisition’s announcements :
- Dalet, the digital media company, acquires Amberfin, specialist of broadcast TV software.
- Inside Secure acquires Metaforic
- Imagine Communication, part of Harris Broadcast business, is acquiring Digital Rapids. The company which developed Kayak platform or StreamZ encoders.
- Kudelski Group finalize the deal of Conax acquisition. This acquisition was announced few weeks ago, but now the deal is finalized.
Some others informations are too available :
- Microsoft announced the support of Smooth Streaming for OSMF with WAMS MPEG-DASH. For the moment, it is a beta, but I hope there will be a release soon. They also announced the release of the open source Orchard Azure Media Services. The solution provides a CMS based way to manage Video content on this cloud platform.
- A new ABR solution is released by the Chinese Quiptel. They use a proprietary wrapper to convert ABR flows in HLS.
- Nicolas Weil on Streaming Media website give us an overview of the MPEG-DASH deployment and in the mean time the state of union with Adobe, Microsoft on DASH.
- Apple changes encoding recommandation for HLS. Thanks to Jan Ozer to mention that.
- In the DRM ecosystem, the Kudelski group (via Nagra and OpenTV) attack Apple on patents violation.