A new week with some interesting news in our ecosystem.
- A new streaming protocol was announced last week by Toshiba based on Divx Plus. Here is the PR.
- Youtube opened the subscription. They fires up subscription TV.
- Aereo is a startup based in the US. ABC plans to use live streaming and the cloud to challenge Aereo. Here is how they will do it.
- W3C proceeds with Web Video encryption. The specification seems to be based on AES CTC like for PlayReady.
- Google announced VP9 is nearly done. Youtube will use and deploy it.
- Microsoft on his part, thinks about a OTT set top box. The idea is to compete against AppleTV, GoogleTV, Roku etc…
- Brightcove launched this week his Video Live Cloud service. This solution is probably based on the Zencoder Live Transcoding. Remember, Zencoder was buyed by Brightcove one year ago.
- Netflix + Youtube = Half of internet trafic !!
- Jeff Tapper from Digital Primates made a talk about Streaming video to HTML. A very interesting presentation.
- Amazon announced some new features in Elastic Transcoder (I talked about this product). It supports now HLS, WebM, Mpeg2-ts and multiple output.
Please note the IBC will be in 4 months now, so some news will coming in few weeks now.